A $5.2 million grant announced this week will expand on the northwest Ohio work through the formation of the Lake Erie Center for Fresh Waters and Human Health, an effort led by BGSU.
As the race to replace Michigan Governor Rick Snyder nears the finish line, candidates Republican Bill Schuette and Democrat Gretchen Whitmer are sharply divided on what to do about Enbridge’s Line 5 pipeline in the Straits of Mackinac.
The robust lake is…
Increased flooding, human impact…
Funding deadline is September…
Record-setting algae bloom in Lake Erie caused by agricultural and meteorological trends have caused this problem, which scientists predict won’t be the last crisis of its kind.
So, what can we do about it? Is it preventable, and if so, how?
Great Lakes Now produced a special interview with Christy McDonald and Dr. Patrick Doran, Director of Conservation for The Nature Conservancy in Michigan. Dr. Doran leads statewide and Great Lakes‐wide investigations of conservation priorities. This includes the identification and prioritization of important conservation areas, as well as the development and implementation of conservation strategies and measures of success.
- Patrick Doran, Michigan Director of Conservation, The Nature Conservancy
- Jeff Reutter, Director, Ohio Sea Grant, Center for Lake Erie Area Research (by Skype)
- Raj Bejankiwar, Physical Scientist, International Joint Commission (he’s the lead scientist on the IJC’s LEEP report)
- Tim Davis, Molecular Ecologist, NOAA, Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory
Detroit Public Television will continue to provide you with critical and in-depth information about the algae bloom crisis and other environmental issues that you need to know about.
Alliance for the Great Lakes – Protecting Coastal Health from Algae
NOAA – GLERL (Great Lakes Experimental Regional Laboratory) on Harmful Algae Blooms – There you can find:
- NOAA HAB Forecast Bulletins
- HAB Research
- Phytoplankton Monitoring Network
- NOAA Ecoforecasting
Ohio Sea Grant – 10 Thing to Know About Algae Blooms (PDF)
Ohio Sea Grant – Harmful Algal Blooms in the Ohio Waters (PDF)